Friday 10 July 2020

Canteen born Chinese student canvass for votes as NUGS president

Canteen born Chinese student canvass for votes as NUGS president


A resident of Canteen in the West Gonja Municipality of the Savannah Region,Mr.ZANKAWAH SANUSI MUMUNI (KRIS),is currently a PhD.Economics student of the University of International Business and Economics in China.

He has launched a spirited campaign to occupy the presidency position of the National Union of Ghana student, China Chapter.

Mr.Kris,a very dedicated and hard working young man who brings on board candour,humility, new direction and new vision for a reformed NUGS has this to say in his manifesto:

MANIFESTO

(ZANKAWAH SANUSI MUMUNI (KRIS)

ASPIRING PRESIDENT,NATIONAL UNION OF GHANA STUDENTS (NUGS-CHINA)

Mr. Chairman, Specially Invited Guests, National Senate, National Executive Officers, Committee and Board Members, the Provincial Senate, Chapter General Assemblies, Chapter Executive Council, Chapter Committee boards Fellow NUGS members, Ladies And Gentlemen, all protocols duly observed.

In name of the Almighty Allah,the most merciful; I bring you warm salutations!

Mr. Chairman,permit me to first of all thank God the Almighty for seeing us through the semester this far, especially,in this era of pandemic and to congratulate the current executives for the great leadership shown at the peak of this period.

Haven't prayed fervently about the task ahead, I believe I owe it a duty to God, Country and humanity to present this manifesto promise as a first step in the student leadership paradigm and transformation agenda as the president in waiting for NUGS-CHINA;insha Allah!

As courtesy demands,I wish to briefly introduce myself:

Fellow students,compatriots,dear friends;my name is Zankawah Sanusi Mumuni, PhD. Economics student of the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing.

I currently hold Masters degree in Economics (Transport & Logistics option) from the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing.I am proud to say that I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT-UK) and a member of the International Trade and Finance Association (ITFA) US.
At present,I am serving as a teaching assistant of Macroeconomics at the University of International Business and Economics.

In the advent of the Coronavirus,I co-authored a publication in an A class journal titled: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Response;Highlights of Ghana’s Scientific and Technological Innovativeness and Breakthroughs.

Previously,I worked as a research assistant at the Center for New Structural Economics at Peking University, Beijing.
In the 2016/2017 academic year,I served as the General Secretary of NUGS- Beijing Chapter,during this period I played diverse roles aside my constitutionally mandated roles that lifted NUGS to higher grounds.

Compatriots,as a servant-leader and coming from a strong academic and professional background,I deem it a great privilege to share my thoughts with you on the grand vision and mission mapped out to move our union forward if elected as the President of this noble union.

Nelson Mandela of blessed memory once remarked;"a leader is like a shepherd.He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind".

I take so much inspiration from the above quote and can pledge that under my tenure of office,I shall  promote an all-inclusive student front in which I will lead by being a servant to you,the students.

In the spirit of growing the student front and my many years of experience working with students in this part of the world,I've identified the following challenges of which I'm willing and able to proffer solutions:

 To start with,I have identified that students often find it very difficult to write their thesis,to get adequate information on the research they are doing and accessing just information on Ghana and the world at large.

Remember the first time you ever set foot in China? How confused you were,how hard it was to find your way.For some of us, if we had not made a friend before,this would have been even harder.I noticed that we do not have a handbook for students coming into China.
Actually,I am still discovering things that can be done better, cheaper options for goods that I had no idea about a few months ago or some years ago.China is quite complicated and very hard to get around and find your bearings.

The lack of a handbook is what enhances this problem.It even stems down to the simple arrival confusion at the airport when you discover that there is no one to pick you from the airport,and all people speak only Chinese, including the taxi drivers. The lack of help from the body representing students’ welfare makes it even harder.

I would exploit my vast experience to address this challenge headon and shall be telling you how? .

There is a lack of strong bonds between different chapters. I have noticed, through experience that a team is made up of different parts, all these parts are aware of the functions of the others, and they work in harmony to create a fully functioning human. I noted that currently, it is difficult to get the actual concerns of the students if we only interact with presidents of various chapters.

 I feel that the lack of an all inclusive regular meeting of the entire leadership representing the students at chapter level and national level leads to some issues being overlooked.

Revenue mobilization is difficult because we do not have a representative from each university to collect dues and subscription for NUGS. There are currently some universities without any executive representation of any kind,which might make it difficult to coordinate with them.

In addition, it is important that we have transparency in the Union.Currently,the system of only doing audits annually makes it harder to account for the revenues and expenditure in the Union.
Chinese are always seeking for investors. It is interesting to note that they are always seeking new innovative ideas from others. I found an issue however, Ghanaians are smart and as students, I have talked to a number of people and they have brilliant ideas that end only in the bedroom. We have no platform to pitch our ideas and be heard and probably,gain a mentor to help us realize our full potential.
There is need for such a platform and this is very attainable with the Kris Agenda.

It is important,also, to ensure that students are participating in all the important activities of the Union which is currently not the case as we have an average small number of students attending activities and other things organized by the Union.

The issue then is how to encourage participation by looking at the root of the problem. Are the activities organized appealing? Are they relevant? What exactly do the students want to see more of?
my vision capture solutions to all these challenges.

As mandated by our constitution,I shall work within the remits of my duties as the president if elected, while ensuring that my vision puts the welfare of members of the union paramount. To achieve these goals, my administration shall;

Build an online library within the NUGS-China website to archive the thesis and dissertations of all graduating students that will be accessible to all students studying in China and other stakeholders who may want to use the outcome of these research for academic and policy making purposes.

Develop a handbook detailing all that new students need to know before embarking on their journey and to study in China and how to settle in quickly after arrival.
Involve all chapter members in NUGS-China activities by holding meetings with all chapter at least twice every semester
 Develop a roadmap for students’ pickup on arrival in their various provinces by Chapter Executives.

 My administration will encourage each university to elect a representative so that students can pay their dues within the first one week on arrival.

I shall liaise with the National Executive committee members, to give account of the revenue and expenditure of the union once every month to ensure transparency and accountability whilst in office.

 My administration in collaboration with the embassy of Ghana shall form an entrepreneurial incubator, to nurture students that have great business ideas, and to link them with Chinese investors to bring these ideas in to reality.

To ensure an all-inclusive participation in NUGS-China activities, online Seminars,Conferences and fares shall be organized for various disciplines and certificates of participation shall be awarded to students.

You can do what I cannot do.I can do what you cannot do. Together we can do great things. – Mother Teresa.

We have no reason to falter; we have no reason to lug behind; we are blessed with all the opportunities to succeed.We only have one reason to succeed and make NUGS-CHINA better again.And that reason and Sanusi Zankawah Mumuni.

It's my firm resolve that NUGS-CHINA would never be the same again under my leadership. I bring on board common sense solutions, candour,humility, new direction and a new vision for a new NUGS-CHINA, full of hope .

The choice is yours to get results with Zankawa Sanusi Mumuni (Kris).#Join the wining trail.
#For Kris;for a better NUGS-CHINA.

God bless!

Source: Ananpansah B Abraham

No comments:

Post a Comment