Tuesday 14 June 2016

I started serving my people before I became MP-Hon.Galus

I started serving my people before I became MP-Hon.Galus
Described as someone who is rising rather so fast through the ranks, the member of parliament of Damongo Constituency and the Vice Chairman of the Energy Committee of Ghana's parliament hon.Adam Mutawakilu(Galus) has disclosed that he started serving his people even before he thought of going into politics.
He made this disclosure during an interview session on a local radio programme dubbed "Youth Parliament On-Air" under the auspices of Damongo Youth Parliament (DYP) on Radio For Peace and Development in Damongo in the West Gonja District Sunday Everning.
"Before I even thought of becoming a politician, the youth have been a priority of my development agenda and I relate it back to 1997 when I was in Damongo Secondary;I organised classes for the youth after teaching; and when they had difficulties in Science, I personally wrote and printed out a book called 'Galus Series' to aid their learning.When I gained admission into the University of Ghana, I still came back on vacations to teach at Dass and Jakpa JHS as well free of charge..., and when I started working in UDS, the youth still remained very critical to me such that any 'Gonjalander' not only from Damongo who applied to UDS and is qualified irrespective of the competition, I ensured that the person gained admission, and when you gain the admission and I identified it, half of your fees will be paid by me, and I have done that over that period till I became the DCE and continued with that and became an MP"-Stated the legislature of Damongo Constituency.

In responding to a question on youth and employment including empowerment as spelt out under policy area 6.1.5 of the National Youth Policy,he admitted to the fact that there were challenges.But albeit those challenges, he was making frantic efforts to better the lives of the youth of his Constituency and to arrest the problem of youth unemployment head-on!
This he said was visible in his efforts at improving the quality of the youth through education by expanding and improving access to the Common Fund, admissions into Senior High Schools and Tertiary Institutions,lobbying for formal sector jobs for the youth, MP end of year gala matches and competition in the area of sports and developing potentials and relief items to tailors and hair dressers in the non-formal sector and skill development through to cash donation to the Damongo Musicians Union among others.
He further disclosed that intentions were far advanced to establish a 'Youth Development Fund'.A localised fund that will be owned and managed by the youth for the purpose of entrepreneurship and skill development.
"The youth development fund is owned by the youth. So, there will be consultation with the youth.They will have their leadership, and anybody involved in setting up a business is qualified to benefit from the fund.I will do what is called 'oversight responsibility' to ensure that they use it in the manner they request for it"-he asserted.
He however,admonished the youth not to limit the issue of employment to only the formal sector, as opportunities in the informal sector abounds and that the youth should learn to network, identify opportunities and get them involved.
"Networking is very very critical in modern Ghana and we have a lot of platforms:Facebook,WhatsApp, viber and a lot more! Please,as youth,networking,making friends is very very important.Because,in most of the job vacancies they don't even advertise; Network and get us involved".
The World Bank recently identified that 48% of the youth in Ghana are unemployed.

Story filed by ANANPANSAH,B ABRAHAM (AB)
PAD FM news desk
0241129910/0200704844

No comments:

Post a Comment